Whether you love a sultry smoky eye or a colourful, flirty look, creating the perfect eye makeup for your next formal occasion doesn’t have to be difficult.
To help you, we’ve put together some of the best formal eye makeup ideas for this year’s prom season.
1. Smoky Eyes
Whether you’re heading to homecoming or prom or even a wedding this year, the smoky eye can truly turn up the heat. This look is sultry, and it goes perfectly well with candlelight and sexy dresses. In fact, the smoky eye can work for pretty much anyone if you follow these tips:
- Dab a thin layer of concealer under your eyes from one corner to the next and set it with powder
- Line your top and bottom lids with a black or dark brown liner
- Apply black or brown shadow into the crease of your eye
- Blend your eye shadow as much as you can
- Smudge the eyeliner on the top and bottom using your shadow brush
- Layer a few coats of black or dark brown mascara
If you need the perfect dress to go with the look, a selection of black, red and even white homecoming dresses for 2019 at Peaches Boutique are available.
2. A Cat Eye
You can go to town with exaggerated lines for this look to bring out your inner feline.
Here’s how to get the look:
- Begin with a clean eye
- Dab a thin layer of concealer under your eyes and set with powder
- Sweep your entire eyelid with a neutral shadow
- Paint a thin line of black liquid eyeliner from the inner corner to the outer corner of the eye. Gently pull your eyelid upwards with your index finger to create a sweeping effect and flare that line up and out
- Use a Q-tip to remove smudges
- Apply a couple of coats of dark mascara
3. The Flirty, Fresh Eye
Fresh, flirty eyes keep your formal look clean and elegant. What’s more, it works for both day and night.
Here’s how to achieve the look:
- Carefully groom your eyebrows
- Dab a thin layer of concealer under the eyes and set with powder
- Brush a neutral shadow over the whole lid
- Line your upper lids with black or brown eyeliner
- Brush on a deep neutral brown shadow, pushing int the crease and blending
- Highlight the brow bone with a light shimmer powder
- Apply two or three coats of brown or black mascara
4. The Colourful Eye
Finally, if you want to get creative for your next formal event, don’t be afraid to play around with colours. Coloured eye shadows aren’t a traditional look, which is why you’re sure to stand out for all the right reasons.
Here’s what to do:
- You’ll need a steady hand and the patience to avoid over application if you want to use bold or vivid shadows
- Start at the outer corner of your eyelid and sweep inwards to prevent a tell-tale shadow line
- Blend bold colours liberally to smudge and soften their look
Colourful eyeshadows look amazing paired with a light gloss and neutral lip.
Practice these ideas to find your next formal occasion look!