If you are interested in switching up your grooming and shaving game, you may be thinking about investing in an electric shaver. However, if you’ve ever looked at the available shavers out there, you will know there is a wide variety of different types. Although that can be overwhelming, we want to help you by discussing the two main kinds of electric shavers, as well as pros and cons for both.
Rotary shavers are different from foil razors, and many other kinds, because of their unique blade shape. As the name suggests, rotary shavers have circular heads, normally three in total, that turn around at the same time, cutting your beard. Probably the biggest advantage of this style of shaver is that it follows closely the contours of your face.
- Excellent for beards that are thick and long
- Great for shaving if you’ve not done it for a week or so
- Follows the shape of your face
- Has been known to cause skin irritation
- Therefore, not great for use as a regular, every day shaver
Foil shavers are straight razors that have blades that oscillate at the top. There is a thin piece of metallic foil that covers the blades, helping to prevent your skin from getting cut and ensuring that the razor does not come into direct contact with your skin.
- Great option if you like an incredibly smooth shave
- Convenient and practical for close shaves
- Can help with precision shaving around the sideburn area, the neckline and cheek line
- As they don’t cause as much irritation for your skin, they are perfect if you suffer from sensitive skin
- Can only be used in horizontal or vertical, but straight lines
- Takes a lot of practice to get the hang off using them
So, now you know the difference and some major pros and cons of both foil and rotary shavers, you should have a better idea of which would suit you best. The thing to note is that there are great rotary and great foil shavers out there. A lot of what makes a shaver better for one person over another, is the fact that we all have very individual styles, preferences and needs.
As well as the comparisons above, there are other factors you need to take into consideration when trying to determine which is right for you. This includes:
Price – Obviously, you should never just base any product purchasing decision on price alone. However, it is still a crucial factor. Really the best advice would be to look at the best of the best within your budget.
Wireless or Corded – To be honest, most shavers nowadays are made to work wirelessly, but that doesn’t mean that all do. If you are constantly travelling and need a shaver you can use without being near a plug socket, you need to look for wireless shavers, whether you choose foil or rotary.
One of the best ways to get a sense of which might be right for you is by reading reviews. Check out some of the Braun shavers reviewed, there are both foil and rotary shavers listed there.